Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Dialogue, Seminars and New Thoughts

Hi Everyone,
I thought before I left for New York (if I am still going -- massive snow storm in New York), I'd create a new blog posting site for everyone to share their thoughts about what's been interesting so far in our class.  For example, what has stood out for you as really important as you read the first four chapters of Isaacs book? What about what we've talked about in class -- the concept of power (Margot), listening skills (Jane), and dimensions of culture (Jane)? What about Machiavelli's book, The Prince? What are you thinking about as you complete your reading in preparation for tomorrow's seminar?

Also, an FYI:  don't forget to send me (jreis@sccd.ctc.edu) your photos of you and your interviewee.  I will post them on our blog site.  Should be fun!

I also wanted you to know that I posted a sample cultural interview paper on the web site.  Look for it in tomorrow's section.

Hopefully I will see you tomorrow night, but if not feel free to email me with any questions. My emails come to my phone so I'm easy to reach!

Jane

4 comments:

  1. Many things are interesting so far, but I was surprised at how applicable Isaacs' work is. In a corporate world, many companies try to tap into the concept of dialogue to be more productive as a group. Moving away from the isolation, and into a team concept where it is very challenging to always apply his principles- but so necessary. Such a vast topic, but it's interesting to have someone break it down, and realizing I've had many of the struggles he is able to pinpoint. Looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my opinion, the most important point in Isaac's book is the very realization that through effective listening we can achieve a level of communication that would allow us to solve problems that seem to defy solution. Amazingly, this applies to a full range of dialogues - from family discussions to the high-stakes world of corporate and state power. The themes that we talked about in class fit within this concept by teaching us sensitivity to culture and ways of effective listening, which are both necessary tools for effective communication. Machiavelli's book is another example of using strategic communication and thinking to achieve stated goals, albeit often in an unethical way. This brings me to the issue I am thinking about on the eve of our class -
    whether effective communication tools by their very nature could only be used ethically, or could the become tools of abuse and accumulation of power in hands of dishonest individuals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's very interesting to me, given how long ago it was written, how relevant The Prince is today. Much of it seems to be about finding the balance between two extremes - love and fear, cruelty and compassion - which is still a very important trait for any type of leader.

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi All - I've been read chapters 1-3 of "Leadership Can Be Taught" today. I'm finding the information very useful. I've also noticed that it reminds me quite a bit of our classroom. Would you agree?

    Thanks,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete